Thursday, December 21, 2017

Galapagos

Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut
1999
Weight: 9.3 oz
Method of Disposal: Donating


I loved Kurt Vonnegut most of all when I was in high school and read just a little in college.  After graduating and working at PAWS for several years, I got my second tattoo, which ended up being a Kurt Vonnegut quote.  It surprised me when I decided on it almost impulsively.  I had never stopped liking and respecting Vonnegut, but I never read his books anymore and the quote I chose was from one of my less favorite Vonnegut books.  "Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

I was excited to pick up a Vonnegut book I hadn't read about a week ago.  It was like reaching for a glass of water after drinking only soda for days.  It was a pleasant relief.  I knew it would be an easy, quick, entertaining, and still meaningful read.  I bought Galapagos when I was working at Waldenbooks 15 years ago and just read it now.  It was written the year I was born.  That took far too long, but I wasn't disappointed.  It was an amusing commentary on humanity.  Still, not my favorite.  I would tell you what my favorite is, but I really feel like I need to re-read them all before I decide.  Back when I was 17 years old it was Cat's Cradle.

No comments:

Post a Comment