Monday, December 4, 2017

The 33

The 33: The Untold Stories of 33 Men Buried in a Chilean Mine, and the Miracle That Set Them Free by Héctor Tobar
2015
Weight: 12.6 oz
Method of Disposal: Gave to Mom


I cannot believe it has been 7 years since the San Jose Mine collapsed trapping 33 men underground for 69 days.  It seems like it was not that long ago.  I happened upon this book that day at The Dollar Tree.  I picked it up and must have picked the perfect time to read it because everywhere I go people tell me they just saw the movie.  I heard it so often that after finishing the book I decided to watch the movie.  I had heard a lot of good things but, after having read the book, I felt like it left out way too much.

The book was gut-wrenching at times and joyful at others.  It briefly examined the lives of the men after their fame started to wear off and you could sometimes really catch glimpses of the hell these men went through and how it will effect them for the rest of their lives.  It was a peek into lives that are so distant from my own that I could only imagine them with Tobar's help, and I am grateful for that insight.  I am awed that all 33 men made it out after over two months in a sweltering, wet, dark, hell.  

No comments:

Post a Comment