Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Beloved

Beloved by Toni Morrison
1998
Weight: 1 lb
Method of Disposal: Donating


I love this book.  Of course, it might have helped that, while I was in college, I was required to read it at least 3 times and discuss it in class.  I never understood how my classmates could be so angry and judgemental about what the main character does in the end.  I would get so frustrated that they would even refuse to discuss it as an option.  You don't have to agree with it to show some degree of empathy.  I have to believe that no one in the room could begin to relate to her fear and struggle.  If you haven't read it, you have no idea what I am talking about and this might be completely boring to you, but I am reluctant to spoil the book for you, as I think you should read it and, if you do or have, you should discuss it with me in the comments.  All bets are off down there!

I will say that it taps into our fear of prisoners, the prison industrial complex, and the death penalty, despite the fact that it does not directly reference all of these things and what it does do is limited.  Also, I never made that connection until tonight, and the medication I must take ten days out of the month does make me a little loopy. 

If you haven't read it, you should give it a shot.  I know plenty of people who do not find the same value in it as I do, but there are millions who do.  If nothing else, it is on many lists of must-read books, including my own.

"This is worse than when Paul D came to 124 ans she cried helplessly into the stove.  This is worse.  Then it was for herself.  Now she is crying because she has no self.  Death is a skipped meal compared to this (123)."

And as a discussion point:

I love the idea of "rememory" and "disremembering."

No comments:

Post a Comment