Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Middle School/High School Reading

Fahrenheit 451  by Ray Bradbury
Smack  by Melvin Burgess
Speak  by Laurie Halse Anderson

Weight: 3lbs
Method of Disposal: Leaving at Joe's in East Atlanta


I think of Fahrenheit 451 a lot when I write on this blog.  It is silly, I am sure, but I cannot help but hear that nagging Bradbury in the back of my head telling me to hold onto these books in case any of them are banned and/or burned later.  "They" could erase anything off your Kindle, but can "they" find a carefully hidden book?  Can "they" find multiple hidden books?  Haha, do you ever hear that voice?  Think that way?  Like when Bush was in office?

Smack, I read in middle school.  The other kids made fun of me for being too goth and depressing.  Everything I did was another thing to pick at.  "Is she really reading about heroin?" "Of course she is."  That's right, little "rebellious" Laura.

Speak, I read in college.  I believe that Skye recommended it to me.  I am appreciative that there is a book about rape, and the anguish surrounding it, available to teenagers who may need to relate to it, know a friend it makes them think of, or makes them more aware of the world around them.  Rape is discussed in a tasteful, helpful, healthy, and age-appropriate way. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment