Thursday, April 11, 2013

Under the Banner of Heaven

Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith  by Jon Krakauer
2004
Weight: 10 oz
Method of Disposal: Donating

This one took me awhile to get through.  Not, necessarily, from lack of interest but because it truly was a violent and gruesome story.  The murder of a woman and baby at the hands of Dan and Ron Lafferty is particularly brutal, scary, and difficult to read about.  The systematic rape of teenage girls in certain communities and the non-consensual incest was infuriating and shocking and infuriating and shocking.  And in the name of religion.  Albeit these groups practice fundamentalist Mormanism, a conservative/strict and small subsection of Mormanism frowned upon (understatement) by the main church.

I learned things I never knew, some things I wish I could unlearn.  I would not, per se, recommend this book, but I would not dissuade you either.  Just be prepared for horror.  It also includes an interesting history of the Mormon Church that I was not familiar with, as I have a limited knowledge base about the religion.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment