Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?

Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? And Other Conversations About Race
Beverly Daniel Tatum, Ph. D
2003
Weight: 10.4 oz
Method of Disposal: Leaving at Joe's in EAV


This was required reading for all first year students at Agnes Scott College when I started there.  It was a great introductory book for college.  It is easy to understand, and it encompasses many important and pressing issues about systematic racism and oppression.  I was very excited to talk about it with my new professors and peers, which really never happened in a satisfactory way--for me anyway.  I did learn a lot about oppression in my time there.  It is what I spent at least 50-80% of my time studying.  I still reference pieces of this book when I get into discussions with people who try to talk to me about "reverse racism," being the only white person in a room/school/workplace/whatever, and/or who believe racism no longer exists.

Four years later the author would give the commencement speech to my graduating class. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment