Monday, May 28, 2012

Chicago Stories


Chicago Stories: Tales of the City
2003
Weight: 13.6 oz
Method of Disposal: Sending to V when I get a chance



I picked this up in Chi Town some years ago when I visited with V.  I had started to fall in love with the city just a couple years before we met, and it was even more difficult to resist it after hearing her proclaim her love for the city so frequently.  She grew up in Illinois and her family lived there.

I tormented her brother by making him walk around a bookstore and then an aquarium for hours.  I wanted some local literature, but I could not find what I was looking for so I bought this collection.  In true Laura style, I just now read it. I guess I should have saved that $14.95 + tax until I was ready.  It was a decent book though.  I am not sure all the writings actually fit together in this one anthology.  It does not flow well, but there is a lot of talent.  I liked Edna Ferber’s story about poor old Jo and all his sisters.  Jean Genet’s piece was intriguing.  Maya Angelou’s “The Reunion” made me wince, hold my breath, smile.  It was kind of great.  I am going to send this on to V because I saw she wanted to read it.  That was such a great visit to Chicago.  This book brought back fond memories, despite the fact that a lot of it was about poverty, crime, and corruption.

1 comment: