Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Imagine Being More Afraid of Freedom than Slavery


Imagine Being More Afraid of Freedom than Slavery  by Pamela Sneed
1998
Weight: 4.8 oz
Method of Disposal: Left at a Barnes and Noble in Duluth, GA



I apparently bought this at Books for Less in Duluth for $1.  How long ago did the Books for Less close down in Duluth?  Quite some time ago.  I got a bargain, and I probably had no idea.  O.k. I should give myself some credit.  I probably read the cover and the back, enough to see “lesbian,” “enslavement, sexuality, emotional trauma, and physical abuse,” amongst other things.  They called her a whispering sledgehammer right on the cover.  I am not even sure what that means, but wouldn’t you like it if someone called you that?

I could not help but think that the anger, emotion, power of Sneed would really stand out on stage.  It was not surprising to see “New York-based performance poet” as a part of her book jacket bio.  You could hear it through and through.  Reading this was great, but I would love to hear it in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment