Thursday, May 31, 2012

Clerks/Chasing Amy


Clerks/Chasing Amy Kevin Smith
1997
Weight: 1.2 lbs
Method of Disposal: Donating



I have never been one of those huge Kevin Smith fans.  I generally cannot get into his movies or, unfortunately, almost any comedy.  I have really appreciated and respected many things he has done in his life, as far as standing up for minorities.  I can also appreciate some of the things people tell me his movies do to promote a better world, though I do not experience any feelings of revolution or inspiration when I am watching them.  I first saw Chasing Amy because my 8th grade girlfriend said it was her favorite movie and that I would love it.  I am very confident now that the only reason why was because we were two girls in “love,” having sex, and dealing with the repercussions of everyone knowing it and Amy was bisexual.  She may still love it and relate, but I never liked it and just watched it to see some representation in the media.  This book was purchased at a Books for Less sometime after that.

I recently read Susie Bright’s autobiography, Big Sex Little Death, and she mentions that this movie was inspired by her and that gave me a little bit more respect.  It was a strange thought.   Bright is so much more intriguing and intricate than Amy, of course she is a real person too.   In case you were unsure, I do recommend her autobiography.  It is amazing that she has been able to do so much in her life, and it is a good story too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment