Saturday, November 17, 2012

Free Sara Kruzan

Women Behind Bars: The Crisis of Women in the U.S. Prison System by Silja J.A. Talvi
2007
Weight: 11.2 oz
Method of Disposal: Leaving at Joe's

I wish I had written about this book as soon as I finished reading it, but I was almost scared to. It meant so much to me that I was afraid I could not do it justice, particularly with my time limitations. That is probably still true but, if I do not do it now, I may never do it, and I have something to tell you that is timely.

I think everyone should read this book. It offers an insight into the United States Prison System that some people may not know about or are able to ignore by not confronting it. People are represented within these pages that have been severely mistreated and also misunderstood. People we may not know about, in our own communities, are suffering cruel and unusual punishment right next door to us. Unless of course, you are the person in prison, you work in a prison, or you have a loved one in prison. With the number of people incarcerated in this country it is very probable that you are somewhat aware of how the system works. But do you really know about the human rights abuses? Do you really allow yourself to feel it? I thought I did, but the more I find out the more it is changing my entire life.

One of the many women Talvi writes about is Sara Kruzan. I first read about her in this book, but there is a large campaign to have her released that you should know about (www.freesarakruzan.org). I wish I had realized my blog could be another source of information on this earlier, but here we are. There is no time to lose. Her next proceeding is on November 19, 2012. That is two days away. Please watch this video and help us fight for this young woman. She deserves freedom. She has for a very long time. Do not pass this over. You have time.


I want to find a way to dedicate my life to men and women like Sara Kruzan. I want to be a part of the prison reform movement in the United States. If you have any suggestions, I BEG you to offer them to me. I have learned so much, but I have so much more to learn. I hope you will start to investigate it too...and now. There is no time to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment