Saturday, November 17, 2012

Stop the Next War Now

Stop the Next War Now: Effective Responses to Violence and Terrorism

Edited by CODEPINK Cofounders
2005
Weight: 3.2 oz
Method of Disposal: Leaving in a booksharing box in Decatur, GA





This is a hard book to create. How do you tackle something so huge and something that seems to have no end in sight? The wars, the conflicts, the battles just keep coming. There were plenty of essays in here that I did not find helpful at all and some that made me blush because of their simplicity, but it is not like I have the answer either. There were some pieces that helped me reorganize my thoughts and gave me new tools to use in my everyday life. I am one that does not really remember a time when the United States was not at war. It seems like there has always been something. But this is not just about the US. All over the world, we are choosing to solve our problems by killing, degrading, and disenfranchising people.

This book was able to balance the horror with hope, but I was still left feeling overwhelmed. Less from the information in the book and more from reading it while living in this world, while watching documentaries on North Korea, while listening to the news in Georgia, while...
I did get the opportunity to learn about huge protests I never even realized were happening despite the fact that I was active, alive, and listening during the Bush administration. Did the shock of it all cause me to miss things? Was it all so overwhelming and hard to believe? I still have trouble looking back on Bush, seeing his influence even now.

Does anyone have any recommendations about books that are similar? This one did have a wide range of authors. People coming from so many different positions and with different identities. I did really appreciate that, but I want more.

No comments:

Post a Comment