Sunday, January 21, 2018

The End of Alice

The End of Alice by A.M. Homes
1997
Weight: 10.4 oz
Method of Disposal: Donating


This was my favorite book and favorite author in college.  I remember that, when I read this book for the first time, I was eating broccoli and cheddar soup and that I could not even stomach seeing, imagining, or smelling that type of soup for several years afterwards.  This book is beautifully disgusting and haunting.  Not many people want to get inside the head of a pedophile--I know because I tried to convince countless people to buy it when I worked at the bookstore.  Not only would they say no, but they would begin to treat me as if I were a creep that maybe should not be trusted.

A.M. Homes is a dark wizard/genius.  I would never give this book up if I did not have another copy.  The young woman eating a young boy's scabs weighs heavily in my memory.  I think of the pedophile turning on the reader after a prison rape scene and accusing the reader of being titillated, of only describing the scene because the reader wants it.  This book is striking, different from anything you have ever read, and it hits deep.  If you are brave, read it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment