Monday, January 8, 2018

Yearbooks 1997-2006

Assorted Yearbooks
Weight: 20.2 lbs
Method of Disposal: recycling

I am not lugging these yearbooks around again.  I have looked through them again briefly as a 32 year old, and I have learned some things.  Here they are:


  • My first grade yearbook is adorable.  We hardly knew how to write and so it wasn't quite the popularity contest it became later.  My teachers loved me.
  • My middle school yearbook is sad.  I clearly hated myself and everyone else.  I was constantly battling off bullies and couldn't see who my real friends were and, while I was nice to them most of the time. I would sometimes blow them off and frequently slam them in my yearbook for being almost as unpopular as me.

  • In high school everyone thought I was weird and a lot of people hated it, but it turns out a lot more people admired that I had come out and was so open than I realized.  At the end of the years I may not have had 600 signatures, but I had letters in my yearbook and it was a good feeling to know that I was more true to myself and less of an asshole than I was in middle school. Most of my teachers liked me again and the ones that didn't must have been assholes...kidding kidding.
  • More people than I realized knew I was having a terrible time in school and was really struggling.  I think a lot of them tried to fix it in ways that should have been obvious to me, but they really weren't.  I would like to thank them.  They may have saved my life.
  • A lot of my most important friends and people did not go to school with me.  I met many of them at work.
  • People took college yearbooks far less seriously than middle and high school ones.  People like myself would not even show up for the photograph and therefore have almost erased themselves from the school's history and do not have to be ashamed anymore. 

  • I apparently went to school with Ron Weasley.

No comments:

Post a Comment