Saturday, March 9, 2013

Invisible Monsters


Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk

1999

Weight: 1 lb

Method of Disposal: Leaving at Joe’s in EAV
 
 

Speaking of authors/books I loved when I was sixteen but do not enjoy as much as a 27 year old, here is Invisible Monsters.  Not similar to Winterson, in that I realized quite a while back that I was no longer a Palahniuk fan, did not recommend him to hundreds of people, and do not feel as sad about my changing feelings about his work.   I also still enjoy Written on the Body in many senses, unlike Invisible Monsters.

Chuck started to lose me with books like Lullaby and Diary, but he lost me for good with Snuff.  There is only so much you can do with being extreme for being extremes sake.  A story needs more than  shock value and it is always nice when the characters have some believability.  His women characters are particularly lacking in quality.  Invisible Monsters seems particularly weak and lackluster.

Good riddance.

No comments:

Post a Comment